Ready to spice things up?
Next posting date is Sunday, 18 January.
In the Oven: Gingersnaps with Lemon Sugar
Author: Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito
Recipe type: Cookies
Yield: 36 Cookies
For the Lemon Sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
For the Gingersnaps
- 1¼ cups (250 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon (195 ml) canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon (75 ml) molasses
- 2 2⁄3 cups (340 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Make the Lemon Sugar
- Place the sugar in a small shallow bowl. Sprinkle the zest over the sugar. Use your fingers to rub the lemon zest and sugar together.
Make the Gingersnaps
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and canola oil until combined. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk to combine. Add the molasses and whisk to combine.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using your (very clean) hands, combine the dry and wet ingredients together in the bowl, kneading as necessary.
- Scoop and roll the dough into balls about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter.
- Roll them in the lemon sugar to coat and place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1½ inches (4 cm) apart.
- For soft cookies, bake 12 to 15 minutes; for a cookie that is crunchy on the outside yet soft on the inside, bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the sheets from the oven and place them on cooling racks. Serve warm or transfer the cookies directly to the racks to cool completely.
Excerpted from Baked Occasions: Desserts for Leisure Activities, Holidays, and Informal Celebrations, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. Copyright © 2014 by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. Excerpted by permission of Stewart, Tabori & Chang, an imprint of Abrams. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.