For our January 29 posting date, we’re making cookies with Nutella. Nutella fans rejoice!
In the Oven: Nutella Chip Cookies
Author: Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito
Yield: about 48 cookies
- 2 cups (255 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces (1 stick/115 g) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (220 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (280 g) Nutella
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (225 g) semisweet chocolate chips (about1⅓ cups)
- 5 ounces (140 g) hazelnuts (about 1 cup), toasted (see page 19), husked, and coarsely chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar and Nutella and beat until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time,
- beating until each is incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat again for 5 seconds.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low speed for 15 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of dough; alternatively, use a small ice-cream scoop with a release mechanism to scoop. Using your hands, roll the dough into perfect balls and place them about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the tops of the cookies are set and begin to show a few cracks, 11 to 13 minutes, rotating the pans once during the cooking time. Remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly, about 5 minutes, before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm (a great cookie is a warm cookie, and if eaten warm, these are perfectly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside) or at room temperature (they will still taste just as delicious).
How to Store: The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.