For our January 29 posting date, we’re making cookies with Nutella. Nutella fans rejoice!
In the Oven: Nutella Chip Cookies
Serves: about 48 cookies
- 2 cups (255 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces (1 stick/115 g) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (220 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (280 g) Nutella
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (225 g) semisweet chocolate chips (about1 1/3 cups)
- 5 ounces (140 g) hazelnuts (about 1 cup), toasted (see page 19), husked, and coarsely chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar and Nutella and beat until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time,
- beating until each is incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat again for 5 seconds.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low speed for 15 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of dough; alternatively, use a small ice-cream scoop with a release mechanism to scoop. Using your hands, roll the dough into perfect balls and place them about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the tops of the cookies are set and begin to show a few cracks, 11 to 13 minutes, rotating the pans once during the cooking time. Remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly, about 5 minutes, before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm (a great cookie is a warm cookie, and if eaten warm, these are perfectly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside) or at room temperature (they will still taste just as delicious).
[i]How to Store: [/i]The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.