Next up, more chocolate – but in drinkable form. This one isn’t for the kiddos since it’s got a splash of amaretto in it – but you could always leave it out. Posting date is February 11!
Also note that we’re making vanilla marshmallows after this, so if you like marshmallows in your hot chocolate, you might want to tackle both at once.
Adult Hot Chocolate
Serves: 2 servings
- 2 ounces good-quality milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces good-quality dark chocolate
- (60 to 72% cacao), coarsely chopped
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- Simple Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream (page 103), optional
- Crushed amaretti cookies, optional
- Put the chocolates in a small heatproof bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over the chocolate, and make sure most of the chocolate is submerged. Let the chocolate sit for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, bring the milk, cream, and maple syrup just to a simmer. Pour the chocolate mixture into the milk mixture and whisk until combined. Turn the heat up to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is just about to boil. Add the amaretto, stir one more time, and ladle into two mugs. Top with whipped cream and crushed amaretti cookies, if desired, and serve immediately.