We’re giving our ovens a break this week — it’s time for some frozen pudding pops! Posting date is June 16!
Author: Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito
Yield: 8-10 pops
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 ¾ cups whole milk
- Put the butter in a large heatproof bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, flour, and cornstarch. Add the egg and cream and whisk until combined.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. After the mixture boils, continue to cook, whisking, for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over the butter. Whisk vigorously for 1 minute to cool slightly. Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes, whisk vigorously for 1 minute, then pour into ice pop molds. Freeze until hard, about 6 hours. Release the pops from the mold by quickly running some hot water along the plastic surface of the mold (be sure not to let the water touch the pops), then pull the pops out of the mold.