We’re going savory — and smoky and spicy! — for our next recipe. Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits on May 20!
Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits
Serves: 20 small biscuits
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grated and tightly packed sharp cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pepper, chipotle powder, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and the 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the butter and, using your hands or the back of a wooden spoon, work the butter into the dough. The mixture should look like coarse sand. Add the cheese and stir to thoroughly incorporate it into the dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or a ¼-cup measuring cup to scoop the dough and drop it in mounds onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through the baking time, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a biscuit comes out clean.
- Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack. The biscuits can be served slightly warm or at room temperature (we like them slightly warm).
[i]How to store[/i]: Store the biscuits in an airtight container for up to 2 days.