Next up on the schedule: it’s time for granola! Posting date is December 30.
Easy Homemade Granola
Author: Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito
Yield: 1 pound
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup whole almonds
- ⅓ cup whole hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them: Gather up some of the mixture in each hand, and make a fist. Repeat until all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the almonds over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Let cool completely. Sprinkle the raisins and cherries over the granola and use your hands to transfer it to an airtight container. The granola will keep for 1 week.