Anything goes for our next bake, a veritable kitchen-sink extravaganza! Posting date is March 25.
Serves: 24 bars
- For the Baked Bar crust
- 2 cups (about 6 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 2½ cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (about 20 crackers)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- For the Baked Bar filling
- 1 1/3 cups walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- 1½ cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips
- 3 ¼ cups (26 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
Make the Baked Bar crust
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out the coconut. Put the baking sheet in the oven and toast the coconut until it starts to turn golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, toss the coconut, and return it to the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Put the graham cracker crumbs in a large bowl, add the toasted coconut, and toss with your hands until combined. Add the butter. Use your hands to combine the mixture, then turn it out into the prepared pan. Using your hands, press the crust into an even layer on the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to create a perfectly even crust.
- Refrigerate the crust for 15 minutes, then bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let the crust cool completely.
Make the Baked Bar filling
- Increase the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Evenly spread the nuts in the bottom of the crust.
- Spread the chocolate chips over the walnuts, followed by the white chocolate, followed by the butterscotch chips.
- In a steady stream, pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the filling. Shake the pan very gently to make sure the sweetened condensed milk is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan every 10 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.
[i]How to store[/i]: Baked Bars will keep, wrapped tightly and at room temperature, for up to 4 days.