Time to track down some piloncillo and break out your ice cream makers for our next recipe! Posting date is October 6.
Banana Piloncillo Ice Cream
Serves: One quart
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ cup firmly packed, grated piloncillo
- 8 very ripe bananas, peeled, wrapped in aluminum foil, and frozen
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon water and the cinnamon stick and simmer until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the piloncillo and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Unwrap the frozen bananas, chop them coarsely, and set them aside.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the syrup and pour the syrup into a blender. Add the cream and bananas and blend until smooth and mushy.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze, following the manufacturer’s directions. Add the pecans to the ice cream a few minutes before the cycle is finished, or consult the manufacturer’s directions about additions. Since the mixture is partially frozen, it will not take long to freeze—about 10 minutes.