This is it for Baked Occasions — we’ve reached the end of the schedule! We’re finishing up with Peppermint Chocolate Chip Meringues. Posting date is September 10.
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Meringues
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food dye or gel
- 4 ounces (115 g) mini chocolate chips, or regular chocolate chips, roughly chopped (about 3⁄4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed for 1 minute. Sprinkle the egg whites with cream of tartar and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. After all of the sugar has been added, increase the mixer speed to high and beat just until stiff peaks form; the whites should still be shiny, not dry.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to fold in the peppermint extract, food dye (a few drops at a time until the desired color is reached), and chocolate chips until combined.
- Drop the mixture by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. (Alternatively, you can pipe the meringues into a Hershey’s Kiss–like shape using a pastry bag fitted with the largest round tip so that the chocolate chips can pass through.) Bake just until the meringues color and are not wet at all, 55 to 60 minutes, then turn off the oven, crack the oven door, and allow the meringues to cool completely in the oven.
[i]How to Store[/i]: The meringues will keep, tightly covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
I am kind of sad about reaching the end of Occasions :(
But SO excited for New Frontiers!! I am looking forward to December 31st already.