We’re still making holiday cookies in July… Next up: Peanut Butter Blossoms. Posting date is July 30!
Peanut Butter Blossoms
Author: Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito
Yield: 36-48 cookies
- 36 to 48 Hershey’s Kisses
- 1 1⁄2 cups (170 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup (50 g) vegetable shortening, cool but not cold
- 2 ounces (1⁄2 stick/55 g) unsalted butter, cool but not cold
- 3⁄4 cup (195 g) creamy natural peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup (65 g) granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup (75 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup (80 g) demerara sugar
- Remove the wrappers from all 48 Hershey’s Kisses and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the shortening and butter on medium-high speed until smooth and combined. Add the peanut butter and beat again on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and add the granulated and brown sugars. Continue beating until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until completely blended, 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and add half of the our mixture. Beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds, stop the mixer, and add the remaining flour mixture. Continue beating until completely blended, about 1 more minute.
- If the dough feels a little wet, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate to firm it up, about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. Otherwise, move directly on to the next step.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the demerara sugar in a small shallow bowl.
- Scoop and roll the dough into balls about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Roll them in the demerara sugar to coat and place them on the prepared baking sheets about 11⁄2 inches (4 cm) apart. Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time, until the cookies appear set and are dry to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the sheets from the oven, and place them on cooling racks. Immediately gently press a Hershey’s Kiss into the center of each cookie, making sure it’s good and snug so it doesn’t fall out when cooled. The cookie will crack around the edges. Cool completely and serve.
How to store: The cookies can be kept, tightly covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.