Bakers, we’re back to the ovens this round for some nutty, fruity, citrus-y muffins. Posting date is June 30!
Orange Almond Blueberry Muffins
Serves: 12 muffins
- Grated zest of 1 orange (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup sliced, blanched almonds, finely ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries
- Handful of sliced almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the orange zest, orange juice, milk, egg whites, and butter. Whisk until combined.
- In another medium bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour, sugar, toasted sliced almonds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well, and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup about three-quarters full, and arrange 3 or 4 sliced almonds on top of the batter in a floral decoration. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the edges are brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Move the muffin pan to a wire rack, and let cool for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the muffins from the pan and let them finish cooling on the rack.
[i]How to store:[/i] The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.